Somerset floods row erupts as Environment Agency accused of abandoning rivers

The Somerset Rivers Authority (SRA) has called on the Environment Agency (EA) to "reinstate full maintenance" of Somerset's rivers following reports of planned cutbacks.
The EA announced in mid-August that it would be stop maintaining a significant proportion of Somerset's rivers and waterways, having received only 60 per cent of the funding it had requested from the Treasury.
The announcement prompted an emergency meeting of the South West Association of Drainage Authorities (SWADA) on Monday (August 18), attended by local councillors and drainage board representatives.
The SRA has now called for the EA to reverse its decision, arguing that a failure to do so would have catastrophic consequences.
The SWADA meeting included representatives from Somerset Council, Somerset's three internal drainage boards, the EA, SRA and Wells and Mendip Hills MP Tessa Munt.
Those represented agreed that the EA "must reverse all withdrawal decisions relating to main river maintenance in Somerset, and reinstate full maintenance" – with this resolution is being escalated to national EA leaders and Defra.
The rivers affected by the EA's announcement include
- The River Avill (near Minehead)
- The Doniford Stream (near Watchet)
- The River Cary (near Castle Cary and Somerton)
- The Galmington Stream, Mill Lease Stream and Sherford Stream and in Taunton
- The Kingsmoor main drain
SRA chairman Mike Stanton represents large parts of Somerset which were badly hit by the floods of 2012 and 2013/14 – including Muchelney and Thorney near Langport.
He said: "I'm deeply concerned about the increased flood risks that will be caused by the withdrawal of maintenance.
"I've spoken to many people about this and heard many frank opinions.
"People have different views about how we came to be in the situation we're now in.
"But I've found there's one common thread – which is that everybody recognises the importance of the work that was being done, everybody wants to preserve what made it valuable, and everybody wants to help achieve what's best for Somerset."
Mr Stanton said he would raise the issue further when the SRA board holds its next meeting in Taunton on September 12.
He added: "I'd like to see us escalating this issue nationally, because there is a problem with national funding shortfalls, but we do also need to be looking for practical answers locally.
"Earlier this year, we agreed to fund some main river maintenance that was being done by the EA. We've shown already that we're willing to help, but we can't do everything
"All of us in Somerset now need to press the case for Somerset and find fair, long-lasting ways of getting work done that needs to be done."
Bridgwater MP Sir Ashley Fox said the EA's decision to withdraw from river maintenance was "unacceptable" and urged Defra to take action on this matter.
He said: "This poses a direct increase in flood risk for parts of the Bridgwater constituency and across Somerset.
"It also undermines the resilience of our rural communities, farmland, and sensitive environmental sites.
"My constituents, especially those in places like Morland who lived through the devastating floods of 2013/14, are rightly alarmed by this news.
"That is why I have written to the government to: provide clarity on future funding and responsibilities for main river maintenance; recognise the interdependence between main rivers and the wider watercourse network; support an adequately funded approach to flood and water level management with proper oversight; and instruct the EA to rescind its withdrawal and reinstate maintenance until a workable long-term solution is agreed.
"Somerset cannot afford to see history repeat itself. We need certainty, responsibility, and proper flood defences to protect our communities."
Glastonbury and Somerton MP Sarah Dyke has added her opposition to the EA's planned withdrawal, arguing Somerset's drainage boards were not properly consulted before the announcement was made.
In a letter to water and flooding minister Emma Hardy MP, she said: "Over recent weeks riparian owners have received letters stating that the EA will halt maintenance in six months' time due a lack of funding.
"This has caused great alarm from those surrounding the impacted watercourses and from the Somerset Drainage Board Consortium, who have written to the EA to formally challenge this action.
"Continued maintenance of main rivers is crucial to protect local homes and businesses.
"If this responsibility is to be passed to riparian owners, then the risk to locals could increase substantially if they fail or are unable to take adequate action.
"Just last winter towns and villages across south Somerset suffered from devastating floods that destroyed many properties, with some residents still unable to return home.
"Ensuring the EA is sufficiently equipped to deal with this heightened threat must be a top priority."
CHECK OUT OUR Jobs Section HERE!
wells vacancies updated hourly!
Click here to see more: wells jobs
Share: