Location: The Square, Shipham, Winscombe
A joint attendance of fire appliances from ourselves and Avon Fire & Rescue Service (Cheddar, Wells, Winscombe and Weston Super Mare) were mobilised following multiple calls from members of the public reporting smoke issuing from the roof of a property at the above location.
At the time of mobilising this incident was treated as persons reported, due to information given at the time of call and within minutes of the first appliances (from Cheddar and Winscombe) arriving and entering the property, an elderly lady was rescued uninjured from the ground floor and did not require any further medical attention, after crews made sure she was ok.
This incident is now complete and was brought under control at 16:50hrs. Once crews established the cause as a chimney fire, involving a log burner on the ground floor of the 2 storey domestic property, they set to work extinguishing it from both the hearth and roof level. Initial investigations indicated this had spread to the roof but was later confirmed as smoke only which had percolated from the chimney stack in to the roof space, which was heavily smoke logged. Crews made good and steady progress extinguishing the fire with 2 breathing apparatus wearers, 2 hose reel jets, 2 thermal imaging cameras, a gas detection monitor and various ladders and safety equipment. These are the full and final details, crews have left the scene and damage was confined to the chimney only.