Wilkinson stars with penalty save as Wells City defeat Lebeq 1-0

  Posted: 24.02.20 at 14:58 by Wells Nub News

us on Facebook

Wells City goalkeeper Harley Wilkinson was the star with a penalty save among his heroics in keeping a clean sheet and seeing the city side defeat Lebeq 1-0.

The first chance of the game came after only three minutes when a Craig Herrod throughball set up a good chance for Ross McErlain but he hesitated and the keeper gathers the ball.

Wells scored the only goal of the game on 11 minutes when Tom Hill sent a brilliant 40-yard ball from inside his own half to get Harry Foster in behind the Lebeq back four and he finished with a shot high into the net giving the keeper no chance.

Lebeq's first chance came on 17 minutes when weak defending from Wells saw Twaine Plummer through on goal but he dragged his shot well wide when he should have at least hit the target.

On 23 minutes it was McErlain this time with a sublime throughball which set Herrod free but after travelling from the halfway line his shot sailed over when he should have scored.

After 30 minutes a 35-yard strike by the Lebeq centre half flew just over bar and on to the roof of the net.

Lebeq got their penalty on 40 minutes when Kieran Davis produced a clumsy tackle, but it was saved by Wilkinson as he went the right way and got a strong hand to the ball.

Just before the break, McErlain beat two defenders as he worked his way into the penalty box but delayed too long and the chance went begging when he should have scored, leaving the half time score Wells City 1-0 Lebeq.

Almost straight from the restart, there was a Lebeq chance as their number 10 shot from the edge of the box but it was high and wide.

On 51 minutes a throughball from McErlain sees Harvey Hadrill out muscle the defender but he pulled his shot wide when he had more time to find the target.

In the last minute of normal time Wells were awarded a penalty as Alex Camm was fouled in the box with a very clumsy scissor tackle from the Lebeq number 5 after he had his initial shot blocked by the keeper.

However, incredibly the referee overturned his decision after consulting with the linesman and instead gave the possession to Lebeq.

In the first minute of injury time, Jamie Brown had two brilliant crosses, the first found Foster unmarked at the back post but his volley went back across goal and found Brown, again he did well to make half a yard of space and pick out Foster once more but this time he headed against the bar and Camm on the follow up sees his shot blocked agonisingly wide. '

In the dying moments, Lebeq with a corner saw the ball drop in a melee of players and from point blank range Wilkinson produced a stunning save he shouldn't have been able to make before Jack Spence came up with a last ditch tackle to stop another one on one situation, leaving the final score Wells City 1-0 Lebeq.

It was not the finest of games and overall a harsh result for Lebeq as they controlled much of the game and they'll be disappointed not to have at least drawn the game.

Wells certainly weren't at their best but did what they had to. Man of the match was Wilkinson for the penalty save and his heroics at the end of the game.

Wells are at home Tuesday night (February 25) with a quarter final Premier Cup game against Bridgwater Town before they welcome Wincanton on Saturday (February 29).

A school that takes pupils from Wells is “a haven” for students according to government inspectors Ofsted who found it to be good across all measu...